Jana and I went into the drug store yesterday to pick up some tampax. (Now there is a show-stopping opening line if I ever wrote one.) As we walked down the aisle I heard her famous brand of “ARE you kidding me?!” I turned around to see not one, but two NFL free standing displays…
blocking the tampons and feminine hygiene products.
As a marketer and brand-focused professional I tried to see what the idea was behind this. I have come up with a few thoughts and will outline them here, with a poll at the end to get your input.
Put the NFL stuff in front of the tampons because:
1. while a woman is bleeding she feels the need to get a little gift for her guy to distract him.
2. there are women who are football fans and they may want some of these for themselves.
3. stockperson was stoned and placed the displays there as a joke.
4. stock person just put them randomly in an aisle with no thought to surrounding merchandise.
5. there is a level of discomfort with feminine hygiene products and they wanted to hide them.
6. foreshadowing: Tampax will be coming out with NFL branded tampons (Team Tampax?) and this is a pre-launch teaser.
i must admit that i procrastinated for a good 10 minutes bowling for tampons today instead of getting my work done. (if any of my clients who were waiting for their jobs are reading this i am only kidding). go ahead, play for awhile. i dare you to stop after one frame. a tip: i prefer nikki with the purple ball. once i figured out her curve ball i bowled a 257!
thanks to a post from my new friend at findingblanche, (hi wendy) i have been introduced to the site for dittie, a new tampon. seriously, do we need a new tampon? don’t tampax, playtex and OB basically have all our preferences covered?
and the bigger question is what on earth possessed these guys to position a tampon to be ‘serious about making your period more fun’. again, my favorite line comes to mind:
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
could this possibly be a marketing strategy conceived by ANYONE who has ever bled?
i personally am sans uterus after too many fibroids crowded my womb and i got fed up and yanked that baby out. (too crass?, whatevs). and i have to be perfectly honest. i just don’t feel all that left out about not having the opportunity to have more fun with my period.
oh, one more plug for findingblanche, she has the most hysterical joe cocker vid on her blog that you must watch.
wait, did i just use the word cocker in a tampon post…