Well, well, well. Bless their little monopolistic hearts, facebook has just blown up Vine with video for instagram. And as much as I want to say it sucks… I can’t.
- iOS and Android – Good move but I personally don’t care. But it is huge.
- 15 seconds vs 6 – Don’t care that much, this is like bar mitzvah videos to me, sometimes less is more. Brands will love it. Little 15 second spots all over town… great opp.
- Editing – This is big. Not sure why it is not in their bullet screen above; this is a big feature. The Vine purists will say that capturing it in one take is the artform – it keeps it fresh, it keeps it real. I get that, but really? Bullshit, everyone likes to edit.
- 13 custom filters – Yum and they had to do it. And filters by frame can be beautiful, or really tacky depending whose hands they are in like anything else. I admit I love filters but as an artist I am in that crowd that wears the #nofilter hashtag proudly whenever I can. Because, you know, ‘I went to art school, yo.” (and yes, I am way to old too say ‘yo’)
- Cover frame – lovely, I like that I can pick the frame for the feed. And brands… this is huge for you.
- Cinema – OMG, I actually can’t say anything bad about stabilization. (Seriously, who doesn’t aspire to stability? What? That is not what it means?) There is no need to take a Dramamine when watching these vids, they are crisp and beautiful (with only a moderate amount of drinking while shooting, I am assuming).
I am still a huge fan of looping and think it is what makes Vine so cool when used correctly, so I am not sure not including it was wise. But I am not sure if Vine will survive this. On the other hand, Vine is the new frontier and the younguns’ are getting sick of the facebook clutter.
What are your thoughts?
2 responses to “Video on Instagram… Vinekiller?”
I’m embedding vine these days, as a site owner I cannot say enough how important it is to have autoplay with muting.
That has me embracing vine. Also the filters… great, just what the emo kids need.
Muting and JG in the same place… no way! Just kidding, yes muting is a key. As for filters… the world is filled with lame eye candy. The cream will always rise to the top with effects. As for emo kids, I think plenty of prepsters are using them too. Universal filtering? Let’s start an industry term!