Ok, I don’t usually do this but I am making a New Year’s resolution. This one is for you Dr. Jimmy.
I, Amy Z, commit to avoid cover bands in 2010. What brought this on? Tonight we ventured out in frigid temps to see a Grateful Dead cover band that we usually like. After paying the $10 cover (this was a real high end joint) we realized there was no heat. That left the crowd all wearing their coats. Not a good thing on suburban Long Island. Here is a list of things that are not ok, and tipped me over the edge to vow to see only original music in the foreseeable future:
1. Fur coats are completely unacceptable at a Grateful Dead cover band show.
2. Doubly not ok is a fur motorcycle jacket (what the hell!)
3. When 75% of the crowd has chemically straightened hair you are in trouble (and that could have been the guys).
4. Yentas and Grateful Dead music do not mix (oh, no, i hate when they play shugah magnoyah).
5. A man in his late 40’s should never under any circumstances play air guitar in front of other people.
AND, most unbearable
6. Listening to a cover band playing The Who, The Beatles and Warren Zevon in the Grateful Dead style is almost like having root canal. (of course not a root canal with Dr. Jimmy because he gives headphones, novacaine and nitrous)